Summer is travel season, and packing season. The decision of what clothing to bring on your next adventure can be overwhelming. If you use your largest suitcase as your weekend getaway bag, or you spend your vacation shopping for clothes in stores that you can readily find near your home, these tips are for you. Now get out there and start enjoying your adventure!
- Shoes are the most important element to your summer travel wardrobe. Tired, aching feet can ruin a vacation schedule faster than a sunburn. Invest in comfortable stylish daywear sneakers. These are low profile shoes with arch support. They look great with jeans, shorts and casual skirts. Bring walking sandals that offer support over cobblestones or the dance floor. I suggest a modest wedge that can be worn with pants, shorts or dresses. Base the rest of your travel wardrobe on what looks best with your shoes.
- A travel dress that can be worn to a nice restaurant, or dressed down for sightseeing or traveling on the plane. Maxi or knee-length is up to you. I recommend a pattern to hide stains, and in packable jersey or polyester that doesn’t need ironing.
- Bottoms are the foundations of your adventure wear. Choose four bottoms that are easy care. Lightweight denim, shorts, casual skirts, and at least one pair of slim pants that can be dressed up for those days when you want to look a little better than your average tourist.
- Tops create the style of your wardrobe. Leave your simple everyday T-shirts at home. A coordinated travel wardrobe doesn’t mean drab. Choose tops with patterns and color. You bottoms and outer layers are your neutrals and solid colors that complement the patterns in your tops. Sleeves or sleeveless is up to you. Tunic or body conscious is your choice. Just remember, you are on vacation, not at work — so leave your button-downs at home.
- Outer layers that can be worn on the plane or in overzealous air conditioning that then can be shoved into your shoulder bag when you are enjoying the warmth of the sun. Leave your hoodie at home! Choose a hip-skimming open jacket that can be coordinated with whatever you wear underneath. For stylish packing in summer, I recommend a light colored neutral, or a bright summer color, such as cobalt, coral or ultra-violet.
- Accessories make the stylish traveler. Sheer oversized scarves can be used as a vest, a wrap or a swim cover-up. Bring a shoulder bag that can double as a carry-on and a beach bag. A tote with a zipper in a lightweight weave is perfect. Bring a packable hat to shield your face from the sun or cover your vacation hair. Include a small cross-body bag that can be worn to dinner in your travel dress,,or paired with shorts and sneakers on the trail.
Final tip: Leave your precious gems at home. For just a few dollars, faux fine jewelry adds flash without the fear of loss.
As a personal wardrobe consultant and owner of Alpharetta-based Fashion With Flair, Lori Wynne helps people look their best. Connect with her at fashionwithflair.com.